THE biggest news of the week of course is that ROGUE 5 have been crowned JONGLEURS COMIC IDOL 2012.
The four-strong comedy boy band stormed their set at Monday’s final, despite going on last after a three-hour gig.
Their energy – and ability to parody perfectly – won over the crowd, who voted for them in droves.
Glen ‘Lenny Sherman’ was edged into second place by the judges – Jongleurs founder MARIA KEMPINSKA, ‘Allo ‘Allo! actress VICKI MICHELLE and Yes frontman RICK WAKEMAN.
Show Me The Funny winner PATRICK MONAHAN also gave feedback on the panel, before closing the show with a headline set.
Host COLE PARKER said afterwards: “It’s been a long, hot and sticky night – but we’ve crowned a fitting winner for Jongleurs Comic Idol 2012 in Rogue 5. They’re used to these conditions.”
JACK DEE says his new panel show will be more friendly to female comedians than the likes of Mock The Week.
At the launch of Sky Atlantic’s new comedy line-up, he said: “We are going to show off female talent in a way other panel shows don’t.
“Apparently it’s become a bit of an issue.”
The new show – Don’t Sit In The Front Row – sees comics create material using four audience members, you guessed it, in the front row.
But not in a ‘picking on’ way.
Jack added: “This is not an unkind show. It’s a panel show where the subject is people, which I think is nice.”
Female comics lined up to appear include GINA YASHERE, SUSAN CALMAN and SUE PERKINS.
ADAM BUXTON has warned about the dangers of obsessing over online criticisim. The ADAM & JOE star scrutinises YouTube comments as part of his video-based Bug show. “It takes a lot of your time and emotional resources,” he said.
“Online, people don’t get where you’re coming from… no matter how many emoticons you use.” One piece of interaction went too far, when a man said Adam looked old in an online video. As Adam pointed out the comments were rude, the troll went ‘schizoid’ and set up the fake blog ‘Adam F***ston’ – posting bitter comments about his supposedly charmed life.
GREAT news – ALISTAIR MCGOWAN is back on our screens this weekend. The Big Impressions star is set in You Cannot Be Serious! – a topical sports comedy show featuring a mixture of clips, sketches and impressions. The funnyman has had a bit of a break from TV mimickery, but cannot wait to get back to what he does best. Alistair said: “There are a lot of people who do impressions on television, it’s a growing number, but I still feel like a bit of the George Foreman of the impressions world, coming back in at the age of 47 saying, ‘I’m the heavyweight, I’m the guy, I can still prove myself against these guys, I can still do this.” Find out if he still can on ITV1, Saturdays, 7.30pm.
ED WEEKS has landed a massive role in a US sitcom. The actor – one half of sketch duo Tommy and the Weeks – was designing Edinburgh Fringe posters as a sideline this time last year. Now he’s set for stardom across the pond after the Fox network picked up the series after a successful pilot. He’ll play a Hugh Grant-style doctor in It’s Messy – alongside US Office stars MINDY KALING and BJ NOVAK.
FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS star RHYS DARBY will be touring the UK from next month. And you won’t see politics at the top of his agenda. The Kiwi funnyman – renowned for his sound effect capabilities – told me: “If it’s funny, I’ll do it. “You don’t need to get overtly political when you can make the sound of a helicopter flying past!” And fans have started demanding physical comedy form Rhys. “It’s got to the point now where, if I don’t do the robot, people complain!”
SKY Atlantic have commissioned a series of comedy shorts, called Comedy Republic. After the success of Sky1′s Little Crackers, the forward-thinking channel has decided to do the same with comedy. The shorts are being produced by Baby Cow, the production company behind a number of new ALAN PARTRIDGE programmes, which will also be broadcast on the channel. Henry Normal, CEO and co-founder of Baby Cow, said: “God bless Sky Atlantic for giving so many people an opportunity to present new comedy. This is my dream show. I have been wanting to make this for 14 years.”
JERRY SEINFELD turned down $100million to do another series of Seinfeld over ten years ago, it has been revealed. It’s alright for some. Ex-NBC executive Warren Littlefield said: “We didn’t mess around. What we put on the table was unheard of. We went in there with a staggering sum and there was tremendous confidence that no-one could walk away from it. “But Jerry said ‘I don’t have a wife, I don’t have kids. In the end it was a quality of life decision.” Jerry Seinfeld married that year, and now has three children.